You may have noticed that I have rearranged the books and furniture in front of my (nonfunctional and slightly dangerous to cats) fireplace four or five times since moving into this apartment a year and a half ago. Every piece of furniture has been too big, too small, kind of weird, slightly ugly, or whatever (This piece was doing the job most recently, but it was a little small and didn't quite cover the entire fireplace opening). This weekend I found the perfect little bookcase - just the right height, the perfect width, and quite sturdy. Not to mention that it was free because I spotted it sitting on the curb (well, laying toppled over into the street if I'm going to be totally honest).
The only problem is that it looked like this:
Just a small problem : ) Sickly green, scraped, peeling, and kind of dirty (well, very dirty if I'm going to be honest).
I gave it thorough cleaning and decided that I just didn't want to do the whole sanding and painting thing. After sanding down this table I think I need a year off from that kind of project! I decided to break out the Mod Podge and cover most of the bookcase with pages from an old book, then add a little paint to the inside of the shelves.
The whole project went very smoothly! I started at the top and worked my way down, slowly applying the paper and covering it with an even layer of Mod Podge. I freshened up the interior of the bookcase with a wash of aqua paint - I mixed acrylic paint with a little water and applied two coats for a watercolor effect.
I can't believe the transformation! It looks so fresh and bright compared the sad way it started out. I'm happy to have given the bookshelf a new home and a new life!